Monday, September 5, 2011

Oops! I Ate Too Much...

Last evening, a stunningly gorgeous Sunday of Labor Day weekend, we were invited to an "End of Summer" BBQ at friends Bob and Jenise Stone's home in Birch Bay Village.  "The Village" is the largest residential community in Birch Bay -- some 1300 homes -- and the Stone's gorgeous (and I mean GORGEOUS) residence is right smack dab on the beach.  Jenise has a well-deserved reputation for cuisine and last night's BBQ was no exception.  There was fresh cracked crab caught that morning and served al fresco on their patio; flank steak prepped with a dry-cure rub of curry, sugar, salt/pepper that Bob cooked to perfection; a delicious salad of assorted fresh tomatoes, most from the Stone's own garden; and a fresh bean/potato salad.  And, of course, this being a gathering of mostly "wine geeks," there was wine.  Lots of wine.  And somebody in our family (without naming names, it wasn't me) overindulged.  The Food Police (that would be me) was taking the evening off and not watching her perp (that would be John) as closely as usual.
What happens when a person who is supposed to eat about one cup of food every hour or two eats and drinks about three times that much?  I will tell you.  They have to have their wife -- who did not bring a purse hence drivers license -- drive them home before dessert is served.  They have to sit up for a couple of hours while gravity works its magic on their digestive tract.  Oh, they also kind of spit up a little if they cough or burp too hard.  Like what a baby does.  Thank goodness I didn't have to put John over my shoulder and pat his back.
So I'm sad to say that I cannot tell you about the dessert.  I'm sure if I knew what it was, I would be beyond disappointed to have missed out.  However, John is a little wiser this morning and back at work with no ill effects, other than a slight hangover.
It's good to have a chuckle over something during this whole adventure.  I hope this gives you one, too.  As always, you are all the best and I thank you for your continuing support.  Oh, and I thank the Stones for a very fun, albeit slightly abbreviated, evening...With love...Nancy

1 comment:

  1. As always, so get this story! We call our similar evening "the lobster bisque incident". Live n' learn boys!
    J.

    ReplyDelete