Sunday, April 1, 2012

Let's Raise a Glass

I really should start another blog under another name.  John has already "progressed" to the great wine tasting in the sky or whatever Heaven may be and the only ones making any "progress" are the rest of us still muddling along, trying to make sense -- and SOMETHING -- out of our lives.
However I came across something in this morning's Seattle Times that touched me and I wanted to share it with you.  Although I live in the great metropolis of Blaine (Birch Bay, actually, a "suburb" of said metropolis), I like to get the Sunday Times.  And as I have done since Dad passed away in '94, I read the obits.  Today I noticed a listing for Rick D. Remillard.  I did not know Rick D. Remillard, but in quickly scanning his obituary the word "wine" popped out.  (Thank you Evelyn Wood Reading Dynamics.)
Rick D. Remillard was born in 1959, three years after John.  He loved to travel and he loved wine.  Throughout his brief life he would combine his two passions, tasting and researching wines, while exploring the countries of Europe and beyond.  Rick earned a B.A. in Business Administration from the University of Washington and, after other jobs, became a wine steward for Central Market's Shoreline and Mill Creek stores as well as becoming a Certified Sommelier...no small feat.  Unfortunately, like John, Rick died from cancer at a much-too-young age.
It's too bad Rick D. Remillard and John did not get to know each other.  However, there is no doubt in my mind that Rick D. Remillard and John are raising a glass together and sharing tales of their passions for travel and that ancient nectar known as wine.  I hope they save a nice Chateau Margaux for for the rest of us.
Cheers...Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment