Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Snowed In

John woke up this a.m. around 6:00 with more-than-usual pain and a rather difficult bout of nausea.  It's now under control and he's resting comfortably in the recliner in his room.  The nursing staff here is great, and the volunteers who -- in spite of snow and ice -- continue to come to work at Hospice House.  While the nurses tend to patients, the volunteers are taking care of visiting family by providing breakfast casseroles, deli plate lunches and (last night) taco salad for dinner.
I took Token for a second visit to a young lady (Kristin, 32) next door.  She has small cell carcinoma.  The doctors had given her a day or two about two weeks ago, but she is still alert and able to enjoy her family and friends who are her constant visitors.  Her mother asked if I could bring one of the cats for a visit as Kristin has three cats of her own and loves animals.  Token was the only choice as Abigail is not exactly a social butterfly in public settings.  He did great!  He laid calmly by Kristin's side and let her and her 3-year-old son pet him.  He even purred!  Such a good boy.  I told Kristin maybe I should start "pimping him out" as a therapy cat.
Snow is falling, the wind is picking up and I'm sitting in the daybed by the window wondering if I'll be stuck my 2-day-old turkey sandwich for breakfast or see if one of the incredible volunteers is able to get here with something warm for us "homeless" family folk.  Worst case, there is still a plate of pumpkin/chocolate chip cookies in the family lounge.
I keep hoping that this is all a bad dream.  I'll wake up and John will be snoring next to me in our bed at home and I'll be wishing he'd get up to feed the cats so I can stay in bed an extra 15 minutes.  But that "Dallas" episode doesn't apply to real life and I know that I'm not dreaming.  I fed the cats, got my own coffee and settled in to write a note to you all.  You are my strength and support right now...Thank you for helping me and thank you for loving John....Nancy

1 comment:

  1. In regards to cookies for breakfast....reminds me of a saying: life is short, eat dessert first. There...you have permission. :)

    ReplyDelete