Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Time Passes

Kitties came back home Friday and I have been receiving inquiries from hospice staff as to when they'll be returning.  Token was a hit with everyone (no surprise); Abigail was like his "bling" accessory.
I don't have much to report other than John continues to get more frail.  He's eating only about 1-1/2 cups of fruit (raspberries/grapes/canned pears/canned apricots) each day.  His weight (I would estimate) is around 165 lbs...a far cry from his hearty 260 a year ago.
I am spending my days at hospice.  Visitors -- bless you all -- come and go.  It's easier when others are there, providing distracting conversation from the obvious topic.  I remember when John and I were heading south toward California (Disneyland to be precise) on our honeymoon.  We both were delighted in the fact that we always seemed to have so much to talk about...books, movies, favorite activities, college and high school stories, philosophy, religion, history, politics...We were convinced that we'd never run out of things to say to each other.  Now it seems that we've said it all.  Except we never can say "I love you" enough.  Or else we dance around the topic of dying.  John asked me today who the funeral home was that I made his arrangements through.  I told him, "Moles on Lakeway."  Then someone came in (either a nurse or visitor) and spared us the rest.  By the way, I think "Moles" is kind of a weird name for a funeral home, don't you? I mean, cemeteries and all...
One thing I would like to say is, once again sounding trite, thank you.  Thank you to everyone who continues to send cards, provide food, send prayers, emails (I don't always have time to write back but please know I read and treasure each one), friendship and support...Our journey is enriched and made bearable by it all.  You are forever in my heart...Nancy

1 comment:

  1. Love you both, and yes Moles is a funny name. I pray daily for you both.

    ReplyDelete