Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Small

I arrived in John's room this morning and found him sleeping peacefully.  But I was struck by the realization of how small he is.  And it made me so sad.  I want to remember John the way he was; my gentle-faced, blue-eyed, handsome husband and friend who always made me feel loved...a man who believed in me like no one else...the man who would envelope me in his arms and make the world go away.
I so miss our evening dinners at home.  That was my favorite time of day.  I always had a good home cooked meal (well, OK, maybe too much meal sometimes).  We would have a glass or two of wine and share our day's events at the dining table.  Sounds kind of like the '50's, doesn't it?  Well maybe it was, but it was the best.
I often wondered if I did the right thing by leaving the "corporate world" those many years ago.  But I believe, and John always said, that our quality of life was better for it.  I have had the best life, creating a home for the two of us and branching out into art and teaching.  No matter what I did, John was my biggest fan.
I hope to continue with the art and teaching workshops.  I owe it to John to do my best...to live the rest of my life in a way that would honor him and make him proud.  I am a better person, a better woman, for having shared my life with this most wonderful man.  He has been my gift from God and a friend to you all...And so we continue for one more day...Nancy

1 comment: